When we bought this house 3 years ago we knew it would take time and patience to get it looking just the way we wanted. We’ve come a long way and some things continue to evolve as we live here and learn what works for us and what doesn’t. Other projects are pretty much finished like the deck makeover, side patio we built and our master bedroom.
Even though we’ve accomplished a lot there’s always a few more projects just around the corner. We’ love goals and lists around here, planning and dreaming are what keep us going and through it all we really actually like doing projects and of course we love the results. So don’t think of this as a resolutions post more of a wish list of projects big and small we have to look forward to in 2013.
1. Nikolas’ Bedroom: This is one room in our house that hasn’t made the blog yet. But that’s all going to change soon. It’s time for Nik’s room to get a little bit of a makeover. It’s been 2 1/2 years since we touch this room right before he was born when we added the wainscoting and painted but little has been done since. The crib has since been changed out for a big guy bed.
I also hate to admit that it’s become a bit of a dumping ground for random pieces of furniture we don’t know where to put. So far he hasn’t spent much time in here other than to sleep but as he gets older he’s showing more interest in hanging out in there. So it’s time to make it a little more friendlier for him and cuter for me.
2. Finish That Outdoor Bar: While we made great progress in this area in 2012 but Winter cut our finishing the interior details of the bar short. We still need to finish the trim work both on the roof and in the interior, add a bar top, lighting and buy some bar stools.
3. Stain That Deck: While the winter cut short the bar progress it also stopped us from getting to stain and seal the deck properly. We know that it’s ideal to wait until pressure treated wood has a little time to “season” before putting a sealer on it so the Spring should be a perfect time to check this off.
4. Rearrange the Furniture. We’ve had the same furniture arrangement in our Living Room for a while now. The room is long and narrow and right now the arrangement is emphasizing that fact. We think it’s time to switch it up. Bryan has a really good idea that might just be crazy enough to work and increase the function of the space. It’s doable and free so it might be one of the first projects we tackle.
5. Paint The Trim: Oy! A thankless job that I’d rather not do but it’s been put off long enough. We have missing baseboard trim in places, splatters of paint jobs and some of the new trim we’ve added still needs the nail holes filled and sanded. I have the paint, I have the brushes it’s time to get to work.
6. Paint The Living Room Walls: The blue walls have been great and we’ve loved them for a while but like everything else as our tastes and style continues to change so does what we want in our home. We want a more cohesive look throughout the whole space. The Living Room opens up to the Kitchen and they are two different colors right now. Painting the whole thing will help it feel like one big space. I’m thinking something light and airy sort of like the image above which I can’t get the image above out of my head. Perhaps even black doors are somewhere in our future.
7.Art: It’s no secret that I love to paint just for my own enjoyment. I also love displaying my own art around my home In 2012 I didn’t paint nearly as much as I would like to. So this year it‘s no excuses, time to pick up those paint brushes again and get back to painting.
8. Finish Those Chairs: Yup, I said it on Friday and I’ll say it again. The cane back chairs I’ve been hoarding and Just Do It Already! I actually made great progress over the weekend so I’m hoping (fingers crossed) that this will get checked of the old list by next week.
9. Refinish the Dresser: The dresser in our bedroom is sad and in need of a makeover. I’ve been wanting to do this for the past five years. The only image I have of it happens to be before we started working on our bedroom last year. I think I finally have an idea for what I want to do, so dresser look out 2013 is the year you finally get your facelift.
10 Garage and Retaining Wall: Last but not least the biggest project of them all, we’re hoping that we get to start working on adding a garage and retaining wall. It’s an awful weedy mess at the moment. It’s so bad I’ve never even snapped a photo from that angle. I snagged the picture above from Bing. The back of the house actually faces the road so curb appeal is lacking and we hope to fix some of the with the retaining wall and garage. It’ll be a huge project and we’re still working out the details to decide if it’s something we can reasonably do. Hopefully 2013 will be the year.
So there you have it, 10 projects in 2013 that we can look forward to. Of course who knows where we’ll end up and what will happen but we’re looking forward to a very good year.
Bring on 2o13